Pages

Saturday 29 October 2011

Uzhunnuvada/Urad dhal vadas (Maami's Corner)

Often times I've served Thaiyr Vadas to my gullible nephews & nieces. Never did it occur to those innocent souls to question why I did not serve them just the  crisp vadas without the messy curd.They did relish those servings though!
I have a confession to make. When you reach my age it really does not matter....  anyway. I was never able to shape the vadas as it should be. The consistency never was right. There always seemed to be much too much water however little I added.  The secret in this recipe is then...
Courtesy: Anitha Manjunathan

INGREDIENTS:

Black gram dhal/urad dhal: 250 g
Rice flour: 2 tsps
Onions: 1 chopped
Green chilli: 2 chopped fine
Curry leaves
Salt to taste
Oil- to fry

METHOD:

Soak the dhal for half an hour.
Grind using very, very little water (just sprinkle, if you need)
 Add rice flour, chopped onion, chilli, curry leaves & salt.
Mix well, use a clean plastic sheet to shape the vadas.
Wet you hands & the sheet, place a small ball, shape it, make a hole in the centre & drop it carefully into hot oil. Fry on medium fire till golden brown.
Serve with coriander/mint chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment