Pages

Friday 27 January 2012

Kothambir Vadi (Maami’s Corner)


When I first came to Mumbai, I used to be awe struck at the coriander leaves heaped at the “sabji mandi”. And people bought them in bundles. Big bundles! Our use of these leaves was restricted to RASAM, SAMBAR & KORMA. I was very curious to know what they did with this. I struck a casual conversation with one such buyer. Seeing my struggle with the local language I think she guessed I was an outsider & was only too happy to share a few traditional recipes on the spot. Kothambir Vadi was one of them. It’s a tasty snack, which can be steamed & stored in the refrigerator to be fried when required.


INGREDIENTS:
Coriander leaves: 2 cups heaped
Besan/chick pea flour: 1 cup
 Whole wheat flour: 1 tbsp
Ginger-garlic-green chilli paste: 2 tsp
Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
Red chilli powder: ½ tsp
Asafoetida powder: ½ tsp
White sesame seeds/til: 1 tbsp
Peanuts: 3 tbsps crushed
Ajwain/carom: 1/2tsp
Lime juice: 1 tbsp
Refined oil: 2 tbsp + for frying
Baking soda: ¼ tsp
Sugar: 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

METHOD:
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together with about three fourth cup of water to a thick dropping consistency. 
Transfer onto a grease plate & steam till the centre is set.
Cool & cut into any shape & deep fry.
Serve with any sauce or chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment